A little later as we were driving, I took this pic of the clouds and the sky. It's so nice to see blue sky after all the overcast and rain . . .
We drove up to Sault Ste. Marie (pronounced Soo St. Marie), which is the furthest north you can go before you cross over into Canada. We took a Soo Locks tour on the Ste. Marie River which connects Lake Huron with Lake Superior. There is a 21 ft. difference in height between the two lakes, hence the locks. Here are a few of the pics I took as we passed through the lock . . .
the gates to the lock are opening
We cruised along the water for awhile and saw some of the shoreline sights on the Canada side, then returned to the locks and reversed the procedure - letting the water out of the lock and lowering our boat down to the level of Lake Huron. You would think that after going through the Panama Canal, locks would be old hat to us, but they're not. I'm totally fascinated by the whole thing.
Check the next blog for the rest of our day's adventures . . .

Wow you have tons of stuff since I last commented on your adventures. You have seen a lot of beautiful places. I am glad you got to see some sunshine again. You really looked like you were cold in yesterday's pics. Are you going to go over to Canada since you are right there?
ReplyDeleteMissing you,
Hugs,
me