. . .Worst Nightmare! I absolutely cannot be trusted with nice jewelry! Shortly after John and I were married, he gave me a beautiful pair of diamond stud earrings, which I loved so much I never took them off! Except to clean them periodically. One such day, as I was putting them back into my ears, one flew right out of my hand and totally disappeared. It had to be in the bedroom by the dresser, that's where I was when I dropped it. I was down on my knees, running my hands all along the edge of the dresser and over the carpet, and searching every inch of the bedroom. No luck. I was afraid to vacuum, and actually didn't for a couple months after that, in the hope it would show up. It never did. This was back when we were living in the mobile home.
Bless his heart, John took the remaining earring to a jeweler and had a new earring made to match. A couple years later, the house was finally finished and we were moving in. I was taking the dresser drawers out to move them, and lo and behold, there was the missing earring, somehow lodged between the bottom of one of the drawers and the slider thing that it glides on. Unbelievable! So now I had 3 diamond earrings. John upgraded the diamond in the extra earring and had it mounted as the center stone in a ruby ring he had given me. And, no sooner had he done that . . . you know what's coming don't you? Sure enough, I again lost one of the earrings - and that one has never been found.
At that point, I forbid John to buy me any more diamonds! So he bought me a nice pair of CZ's, which I wore for years, and of course, never lost! Guess he thought I was trustworthy again, because a couple Christmas's ago, he bought me another pair of diamond earrings, this time with screw-backs to help ensure they would stay in my ears!
And they have! Until yesterday! I was getting ready for bed, brushing my teeth, and there reflected in the mirror was my naked earlobe! Oh no, not again! Talk about panic! Definitely, John will kill me this time! And I have no idea in the world where I might have lost it. I absolutely, positively know it was there yesterday morning. But I was everywhere yesterday - doing my volunteer job at church, to lunch with my sis, in her car, in and out of my car, in my yard, at my grandson's baseball game, and out to dinner with John last night. The earring could have fallen out in any of those places or anywhere in-between, there was little or no hope of ever finding it again.
I was scared to death to tell John I had lost yet another diamond. And I was completely surprised at his almost total silence when I did tell him. He was either so upset he didn't trust himself to talk to me, or he was in utter disbelief. But nothing he could have said would have made me more upset than I already was!
I was so sick to my stomach I couldn't sleep. I was up watching Infomercials and Roseanne re-runs until after 4:00 AM. And trying to retrace in my mind every single step I had taken. And begging and beseeching God to somehow make the earring reappear.
Well, let me tell you - God listens! This morning, I began a thorough search of every inch of surface space in this house - a magnifying glass search that would make Sherlock Holmes proud! And . . . lo and behold again . . . the back was stuck in the carpet in the hallway! I couldn't believe it! And finding the back gave me the slightest glimmer of hope that the earring might actually have fallen out in the house!
I continued to crawl on my hands and knees through each room, finally arriving in my office. Not only does God listen, God answers! There, in the carpet under my desk, lay my beautiful missing earring! FOUND! Thank you God, again! NEVER will I doubt that you are in control - even with little things like a lost earring!!!
Anticipatory Grief
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment