It was closing time and we were heading for the tram that would take us back to our car in the Pinocchio parking lot. It was simply a matter of climbing 6 steps and walking across the platform to the tram waiting area. But that first step must have been a doozy, because the next thing I hear is a loud t-h-u-n-k and suddenly I'm down . . . with my face flat on the edge of the top step - cement no less. I have no idea what happened! I hit the step with my left eye and I was sure I was blind! I quickly lifted my head to test my vision (whew - I could see) and apparently there's blood everywhere and my stunned and startled sister is yelling "help" and running toward one of the little kiosks that rim that area. People were appearing from all directions - wonderful people with wipes, water, towels, offering assistance and asking if I'm OK and what can they do. Then the Disneyland people are there, and then the paramedics are kneeling in front of me - all of this happening in what semed like only a few seconds.
By now I'm sitting up on the second or third step, pressing whatever has been handed to me against my bleeding head. The paramedics are checking me out, testing my reactions, feeling my back and neck, taking blood pressure and pulse measurements, and I'm feeling like the most idiotic, stupid klutz of all time. I'm told I need stitches and Xrays of my face, and must go immediately to emergency. I had a choice of going by ambulance, or a Disneyland employee could drive us to Carol's car - we chose that option! Disneyland totally takes care of you if you are hurt on their property!
Well, you all know how long it takes to be seen in the ER so . . . fast forward again. My face was Xray'd on all sides and angles, they also Xray'd my ring finger which was starting to hurt. We even got that ambulance ride to another hospital and back for a CT Scan - just to be absolutely sure nothing was broken - and thankfully, nothing was. The doc stitched up the hole in my head with 8 beautiful stitches, and after a Tetanus shot, an antibiotic shot, 3 prescriptions and pages of written instructions, a mere 7-1/2 hours later we were finally on our way home! An "E-Ticket Day" all the way!!!!
A picture is worth a thousand words, so check out my new look . . .

It could have been so much worse! My forehead and cheek took the hit, which protected my eye, and my mouth and jaw landed in the opening (John says it's called the tread and rise) between the steps and didn't get hurt at all (that could have been a real disaster!) So while I'm swollen and very colorful, I'm so very thankful that I got away good . . . As Carol said, there definitely was an Angel on my shoulder!

No comments:
Post a Comment