Monday, February 23, 2009

Out With The New!

A long time ago, in my last life, I think I was a fairly organized person. I must have been - I had a full time job, a husband and family to look after, a household to run, and a little bit of a social life thrown in for good measure. And somehow, things got done, deadlines were met, the house got cleaned, we had sit down family meals with good, home-cooked food, and I was a productive and capable employee for the company I worked for. So now I wonder . . . . what happened?

Because now, in my current life, I never seem to have time for anything. And that's crazy, because I should have all the time in the world now. I am NOT employed, I don't have any kids at home, there is only John and me here so the house doesn't get that messed up, but somehow, I don't seem to get anything accomplished. The one thing that is befuddling me the most is that I don't plan meals anymore. I always used to plan meals for the week. I would then make a grocery list and do the shopping on a regular basis, and then spend one day cooking up all the meals at once and putting them in the fridge or freezer to use as the week went by. It was great, I always knew what was for dinner, and we were eating good, healthy meals. Now, I wait until the last possible second before going to the store to buy groceries, I rarely plan meals in advance, and it's all out of control.

And so I'm taking a lesson from my very wise daughter, who recently posted something in her blog about "eating a frog first thing in the day and everything else that happened would be a piece of cake" or something to that effect. What it means is to do one thing you have been dreading, first thing each day, and get it over with so you can then get to the things you enjoy. Sounds so simple and makes so much sense. And by eating one frog at a time, eventually you get all those ugly things done and out of the way.

So, today I ate my first frog. I completely cleaned out both my freezers. I am appalled at what I found inside, and I'm super embarrassed to even mention how old some of the food was. No way would I ever consider eating it - so why was I keeping it? Just so the freezers looked full? So I would have some sort of false assurance of having plenty of food on hand? Who knows! But now they are both almost empty, and I know that everything that remains in there is OK to eat!

My next frog is to make a meal plan, and a proper grocery list, and stock my refrigerator and freezer with the ingredients I need to start cooking good meals again. So out with this new unorganized me, and back in with the old more structured one - hopefully!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment