Thursday, September 2, 2010

Just Driving Along . . .

Today I'm really tired . . . even more tired than yesterday with only 3 hours of sleep. I think everything has caught up with me and it's going to take another day or two before I get rested up. But that's OK, I'm the navigator and not the driver - good thing! . . . And we're on vacation!
We had a lazy morning and didn't get on the road until after 10AM. We continued North on I-5 towards Redding, and stopped for lunch at a little restaurant over-looking Lake Shasta. We ate outside on the deck and really enjoyed watching the houseboats cruising along on the lake and under the bridge.
Lake Shasta
Soon we were getting great views of the gorgeous mountain that reigns supreme over this area ...
Mount Shasta

Finally we got off the super highway and onto Hwy 97, which is a mostly two-lane road with an occasional passing lane. The landscape changed from pine forests to farmlands, then grasslands and sagebrush.

We crossed into Oregon and almost immediately, the landscape changed again. Now we were passing cattle ranches bordered by rolling hills, and interspersed with sheep and horses.


This sawmill is on the banks of the Klamath River - and soon we would be driving through thick pine forests - no question about where the logs come from.

"Happy Cows" grazing in nice green fields.

Upper Klamath Lake

This is a huge lake that runs alongside the highway for probably 20 miles or so. We've also crossed several rivers and a few other lakes - it's really pretty in this part of Oregon.
One observation in Oregon - at least on Hwy 97 - there are no "Braille Bumps" (or Botts' Dots which John informed me is the correct name . . . They were named after Elbert Botts, an engineer with Cal-Trans who is credited with overseeing the research that led to the development of the dots on the highway). Did you know that? I didn't!
We are now in Bend, Oregon, for the night. We are told this is a very interesting little town, so we plan to do some exploring tomorrow. For now, I'm going to bed! Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment