We arrived at Butterfield Trail Village Retirement Community where Byron lives, and he met us in the lobby with his 86 year old lady-friend, Janet. After introductions and hugs all around, we followed Byron and Janet into the dining room for lunch. What a spread! It was buffet style and there was just about every kind of fruit and both raw and cooked vegetables that you can imagine, plus deviled eggs, cheese, rolls, biscuits, a complete salad bar, mashed potatoes, chicken-broccoli crepes and orange roughy. The "main event" was prime rib, and truly, I think it was the best I have ever tasted.
Over lunch we got go know each other and spent the next hour and a half exchanging stories and laughing. Those who know me well know that I am usually very ill at ease meeting people for the first time, never knowing what to say or what to do. But this was so comfortable, it was like I had known Byron forever. And Janet is just a delight - full of fun and very outgoing, I can totally see the attraction between them, and they are so cute together!!! They both have lost their life-long mates and I'm so happy that they found each other.
After lunch they gave us a tour of the facility. There are two separate parts - one side for residents who are totally self-sufficient, the other side for people who need full care. There is no "assisted living". In the full-care part, there is also a brand new Alzheimer's wing. In the side where Byron lives - the self-sufficient part naturally! - there are houses, cottages, and apartments. He has an apartment with a living/dining area, kitchen, bedroom, office and bathroom, and it was completely clean and neat as a pin. The facility also has a large swimming pool, therapy pool, jacuzzi, work-out room, library, and a general store (where Byron volunteers one day a week in exchange for extra meal tickets). The grounds are landscaped and beautiful, and it's a very large and very very nice place. He says he has lived there longer than anyone else, and he seems to know each and every resident. He is very active in his church, loves all types of sports, still drives his own car and just recently got his driver's license renewed for another 5 years! Way to go, Byron!
After our tour, we went to Byron's apartment and talked for several more hours. He showed me old family photos (which he allowed me to photograph), and told stories about the Minnich side of our family. And he wanted to know all about my own family. And we tried to decide if we are second cousins, or maybe first cousins, once removed - but then we didn't know what that means exactly, so we settled on being second cousins. It was so much fun, I really didn't want to leave, I was having such a great time. But finally, I knew it was time to go. But first, I had to snap a few photos . . .
Anticipatory Grief
7 years ago

All I can say is WOW. I am so glad you got to go there and see him and talk to him and take pictures. I would have loved to be there with you for this one - pictures will have to do. Can't wait to see more of them. Again, Happy Mother's day sis - I love you.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
me
Joy,
ReplyDeleteI was soooooo very excited to read your entry about visiting Byron. I am extremely happy for you...what a wonderful time you had with him. The photos were wonderful...he looks fantastic!
I know he loved seeing you. I am e-mailing him tonight!
I want to tell you the name of your Mom's stepmother. I found it in the Minnich notebook. Her name was Gladys Reeves. Jesse married her on Nov. 5, 1919. You said you wanted to look her up in Salt Lake City, but didn't know her name.
Do you have a cell phone with you? Thank you so much for the Applebee's Gift Certificate ....totally generous and extremely thoughtful. Love, Cousin, Joyce