Saturday, May 16, 2009

Planes Planes and More Planes

This morning John and I drove down to Dayton to tour the Air Force Museum.



John was like a kid in a candy shop walking around and looking at all the planes - everything you can imagine and every make and model starting with the Wright Bros. and moving chronologically through all the planes from World War I, World War II, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, up through the present day. We were there for almost 4 hours, and we sped through it. If you really took your time and read all the information, you could be there for days!!!

Here's my favorite plane - because I got to fly in one once . . .


Stearman Bi-Plane
This is John's absolute favorite . . .

P51 Mustang
And Greg, these are for you . . .


Northrup's P61 Black Widow Night Fighter



Northrup's B2 Bomber



Northrup's Global Hawk
It's mind-blowing just how big some of these planes are when you get up close and personal with them!!!
After the museum, we drove over to the Wright Bros. Memorial, and then walked through an exhibit that shows their original print shop and also their bicycle shop. Originally they were in the printing business and that's where they started trying to figure out how to fly. Later they owned a series of bicycle shops and designed and built bicycles, before they built the first plane that they flew at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
I have to admit that this was not my favorite day - I like to see planes in the air and really enjoy air shows, but just to look at planes doesn't really get me excited. But John was thrilled!

2 comments:

  1. WOW those all look huge. It is good to catch up with your travels gain.
    All is good here - Maxx and Moby say HI.
    Hugs,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a little of my blood, sweat, and tears in that B-2. I have been on and in that unit (as well as all of the other units). Yes, big on the outside, but oh so many small spaces inside....I have the scars to prove it.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete