Saturday, May 30, 2009

Frankenmuth

Yesterday when we got into Frankenmuth, it was late in the afternoon and we headed straight for the Christmas store to check it out. When we came out of the store some 3 hours later, the sidewalks were rolled up for the night. So we just checked into a room and decided to explore the town today, which we did.




Along the street we found this sausage company. Check out the rolls of sausages and cheese hanging in the window.

We were told that we couldn't leave town without experiencing a chicken dinner - apparently that's what Frankenmuth is "world famous" for. There were two restaurants to choose from, and we opted for The Bavarian Inn.






The servers were all decked out in full German attire, so we opted to dress up too . . .



We saw these clothes in one of the stores and I could have scored a full outfit for just under $350.00! What a bargain!

The meal was great - served family style and we could have easily fed 4 adults with the amount of food they gave us for 2. Check it out . . .

The meal included noodle soup (not chicken noodle, just noodle), two kinds of homemade bread, 4 salads, 4 pieces of chicken each, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, more noodles, peas and carrots, and then homemade ice cream for dessert. I felt so bad leaving so much of it on the table - our waiter told us most people take half their meal home for later. We definitely could have.

Behind the restaurant is the covered bridge I showed you yesterday, which crosses over this pretty little river that runs behind the buildings along the main street. They rent electric boats and peddle boats that you can use to go up or down the river.


It's really a cute little town, and totally represents the German influence that we are seeing all through Michigan. The residents have the same type of accent that you would associate with Minnesota, really cute. I am enjoying talking to them, just to hear the accent.

After lunch, we headed north again. We were hoping to get up in the Mackinaw area, but John got sleepy, so we decided not to press it and stopped for the day. Tomorrow we will head out in that direction again - we aren't very far away.

1 comment:

  1. I just got caught up on your amazing blog entries. Wow, you and John have seen so many incredible places. My sister lives in Michigan, so we visited once and saw the Greenfield Village. I loved it and would love to go back.
    We never went to Frankenmuth. I have seen the a TV feature on the Christmas store that way. Unbelievable. I am enjoying your trip via blog.
    Hugs,
    Cousin Joyce

    ReplyDelete